Featured post

Choose Your Own Adventure Retrospective: The Curse of Batterslea Hall by Richard Brightfield

Image
The Curse of Batterslea Hall  was always my favourite CYOA book – it was also, for reasons I'll get into, one of the more unusual ones. It sparked my later love of adventure games and inspired some of my sketchy early attempts at creative writing (including a thinly veiled recreation on 90s 'edutainment' program Storybook Weaver ). It also deepened my devastation when I returned home one fateful school night to discover my mum had donated my extensive CYOA collection – precious gems tremblingly unearthed from the dusty Mills and Boon-straining shelves of my local Scope – back to charity. Around twenty years later, and I took the obvious next step for a mildly lockdown-crazed 90s kid squinting down the barrel of their thirties: sourced a copy inflated by just four times the original cover price through eBay. But was it worth it, and does it still hold up? Dust off your bootcut jeans and fire up your Walkman – it's adventurin' time, 90s* style... The premise Battersl

Dreamfall Chapters Game Review: Immersive and Impressive but Fragmented and Flawed



While I found Dreamfall Chapters immersive and enjoyable, the various disparate narrative threads simply didn't come together at the end for me. I ended up looking forward to Zoë's parts of the game much more than Kian's, who I found somewhat dull. In keeping with this, I found Stark, Zoë's futuristic cyberpunk world, more compelling than Arcadia, which presents a much more typical magical fantasy setting.

Because of this, I was disappointed at the fragmentation of the gameplay into three different main characters and settings, all of which had intrigue but none of which felt fully fleshed out (particularly Saga, the third character, who mostly remains a mystery throughout).

While Stark and Arcadia appear large, atmospheric and interesting, most of the buildings are simply decorative and cannot be entered, and most of the city inhabitants cannot be interacted with meaningfully, only eavesdropped in on. Similarly, Riverwood and the Purple Mountains are stunning locations, but, disappointingly, you are effectively on rails in the former and spend very little time in the latter.


There's also some lovely character design  although I could've done without Zoë's distractingly well-rounded butt cheeks (mostly NSFW) being the focus of so many shots (a strangely male gaze-driven choice for an apparently progressive studio).

There are also odd lapses in the game. At one point, Zoë and Crow discuss needing to get somewhere; in the next moment, the screen fades to black and it becomes evident that they have acquired a means of getting there and already made the trip. This could be indicative of budget/time constraints (the chapters were slow to be released, with stretches of up to six months between each one, leading to a fragmented gaming experience for me and many others), but it nevertheless takes you out of the experience.

And, while I enjoyed the sense of autonomy given to the player in the form of choices, some of these felt somewhat arbitrary and did not have any apparent meaningful consequences. For example, the revelation of a certain character's sexuality, while welcome, seems inconsistent given a previous choice and therefore feels forced for the sake of inclusivity.

The puzzle-solving is quite straightforward for the most part, although there are a few illogical hurdles, which comes with the adventure gaming territory. In addition, I experienced a couple of game-halting bugs that required a reload (although these might have since been ironed out).

Verdict: Overall, Dreamfall Chapters is substantial, immersive and impressive-looking enough to entertain adventure game fans, but fragmented and flawed, which might disappoint those who have followed the series since its genesis.

Score: 

If you liked this, please consider fuelling my next post by slinging a cup of coffee my way.
Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nana by Ai Yazawa Book Review: A Very Unconventional Love Story

A Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within-Inspired Tour of Southern Germany

'Your Trial Period is for Life': WhatCulture and the Culture of Artist Exploitation